The eleventh follow-up report of Sierra Leone describes actions taken by the country to rectify the remaining deficiencies in its AML/CFT regime since the submission of its tenth follow-up report to the Secretariat in May 2014.
The following actions were taken by Sierra Leone:
- Ratification of the Palermo Convention;
- Commencement of the National Risk Assessment;
- Delivery of training on AML/CFT compliance to commercial banks by the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU);
- Strengthening AML/CFT supervision of reporting entities;
- Development of the national anti-corruption strategy and the reform of public financial management;
- The FIU conducted an exploratory discussion with the regulatory body for the accountancy profession; and
- The FIU enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the country’s leading telecommunication company, Airtel (SL) Limited, for the purpose of carrying out AML sensitisation.